Sunday, August 28, 2011

Fostering Q&A


I have seriously been neglecting my writing! With school starting, DHS classes every Saturday, and working my second job on Sundays, my free time is running into the negative. I know that everyone wants updates and I have received several of the same questions from various people, so I decided that this particular blog will be dedicated to answering such queries.

Q: How soon will you get a child?

A: We have another month of classes and our home study is set to be finalized any day. DHS could call anytime after that, so it could be very soon! In emergency situations, we may even get a call before we’re done!!

Q: What age/sex will you get?

A: Most people don’t realize this, but you tell DHS everything you are willing to accept as part of the process. Race, gender, age, behavioral issues, diseases, mental disorders, etc. We are asking for a baby. We prefer a girl, but if a boy is available first, we would definitely consider it. We are open to any race and have even said that we would consider twins!

Q: How long will it take for you to be able to adopt the baby?

A: This is a complicated question. When they call, they will let us know the baby’s history and let us know if it is likely to be adoptable. They usually have some idea of what will happen based on previous encounters with the parents. We have the option to turn down any call. Unless they indicate that the child is likely to be adoptable or the rights have already been relinquished, at this point in our lives we would probably say no. I could definitely see us welcoming older children into our home later in life, but right now we are preparing for a baby.

Q: At what point did you decide enough was enough and turn to fostering/adoption to complete your family?

A: I think anyone experiencing infertility or recurrent miscarriages faces this decision at some point and it’s a very personal thing. For myself, I felt strongly led towards making our tragedy into something powerful and uplifting. What better way to do that than to change the course of a child’s life forever? Also, I could not, in good conscience, continue spending money in the name of having a biological child. For some, spending thousands upon thousands of dollars to have a miracle baby is their testimony of love and enduring faith. It can give others in the same situation hope. That’s just not where my heart is. Not when unwanted babies are dropped off every day at hospitals needing a home.

Q: So are you totally done trying for “your own” baby?

A: Well, we’ve had the “one last test” and it revealed NOTHING. Big surprise. Dr. Impressive Credentials REALLY tortured me with that test, but all that pain yielded another “I couldn’t see anything that would cause your miscarriages.” He sent us on our way advising us to try, try again. I guess my answer is yes, I’m done. If it happens, it will be despite all efforts to prevent it. Those pink lines have given me nightmares for too long now, and I’m quite certain that I can do without seeing them while I’m awake! My desires are in a different place now.

Q: What will you do if you get a baby and then end up pregnant?!

A: Assuming that the baby in my belly decided to stay, well, the more the merrier! We would be ecstatic with our double blessing!

Q: Aren’t you scared about this whole process?

A: Anyone who is adopting in any fashion that says that they don’t have very real fears and concerns is either doing extensive meditation or lying. What do I do when the child wants to find his/her “real” parents? What happens when they struggle developmentally because their mom was on drugs or didn’t have good prenatal care? When do I tell them they’re adopted? How do I let them know that they are more loved than any child on earth when they feel abandoned by the one that was supposed to love them most? These are the questions that give me pause, that bring tears to my eyes, that put the gravity of what we’re doing into perspective.

Any time something this huge is on the horizon, questions abound. I may actually have more questions than answers at this point, but I firmly believe that when we hold our baby for the first time, those questions will answer themselves.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber,
    I know it has been many years since we spoke but I have kept up with your heartbreaking journey through Facebook etc. Call me a stalker lol I just like to keep up on everybody's lives. I have to say, this post spoke to me in a very personal way. You may not remember, but I am adopted, was as a newborn. I struggle with all of these things and feelings that you mentioned here, plus some. Unfortunately my birth parents do NOT want to know me and since I was adopted through DHS, all records are permanently sealed. I have known the most overwhelming genuine love from my parents, but I also know the emptiness that will live inside me no matter how much love I'm shown. I'm not writing to deter you, I think this is awesome and it warms my heart that two successful, kind-hearted people I know are willing to open their hearts and home to a baby. I thought I might just make contact in order to say if you ever want someone to talk to, some advice, guidance on such a sensitive subject, I am here for you. I've found that although parents, counselors, pastors, people from the general public have GREAT intentions, adoption is one of those "it takes one to know one" situations. The questions and feelings that we feel as adopted children are impossible to explain to people. If I might ever be a help to you and Erik, please don't hesitate. I sincerely pray that this new journey fulfills your life and that you are enriched beyond words! Thank you for sharing with us your highs, lows and in-betweens. I'm excited FOR you guys!
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete